Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It's Like Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend . . .

Though I'm certainly not completely against it, I sometimes have to warm up to the idea of change.

I think it's because no matter how good the change, it still can feel like saying goodbye to an old friend.



This is on my mind as I contemplate the next school year.  Yes, I know--I can never get through one school year without already planning the next.  Hey, it takes a lot of time to pray and decide and plan and purchase and prepare!  What's a girl to do?

Anyway, I'm thinking about bursting out of my homeschool box next year and trying a radically different (for me) approach to [Our Last Name] Christian Academy.

I studied education in college, so I've always known there are other ways of doing things.  I've participated in enough homeschool research, conventions and conversations to understand that it's okay to try something new and fail . . . or succeed!

I don't like the part about possible failure, though.  See, it goes against all that perfectionism I tend to unconsciously nurture.  Me no likey failure! (ha ha)



We've always used lots of textbooks here at NCA, and that is one very legitimate, successful way of learning, and Little Mister has thrived for the most part.  It's getting old, though.  He's not as enthused about learning as he once was.

And why in the world, since I have a choice, would I not try to make learning more enjoyable for my son?  NOT that he doesn't still need to be disciplined and intentional in his studies--I can't imagine that I could ever be a fan of "unschooling," from what I have seen of it.  Well, okay, I'll just admit the thought of it makes my skin crawl and causes great anxiety to well up! lol

No, I'm just talking about a different approach to learning basically the same things he would otherwise.  I've been reading up on Charlotte Mason and "classical learning."  What I'm learning speaks to me somehow and beckons to me like perhaps . . . a new friend?

I don't know.  I still have more reading and studying and praying to do before I ditch most of our textbooks and learn from "whole books" or "living books."  It would be a big stretch for me.  I will definitely write more about classical learning and, more specifically, whether or not I choose it, in a future post. :)

For now, though, I struggle a bit with what to do.  That's okay.  Struggle brings good if we keep our focus right.  I don't doubt that the Lord will use my attempts, successes or failures that they may be, for His glory.  And that's what it's all about!

Note:  If you're new to this blog and are interested in home education or our specific home school, check out my series on home education, starting here! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Laurie...
    Have you ever checked into Sonlight curriculum? It has a lot of the characteristics of a classical approach, but it great for those who are "box checkers" and those who like to have someone do a lot of the work for us (like me). We used it for 3 years, and we all LOVED it. Some of our best memories are the times we spent reading "living" books together. I think my kids learned more about American and World History as 4th/5th/6th graders than they have in their public high school history classes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica--I have heard people talk about Sonlight before, but I haven't tried it myself. Thanks for the recommendation! I must put that on my list of curriculum to look into. I always love to hear from real people what has worked for them. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing what's on your heart and mind! Your thoughts, opinions, questions and ideas are welcome here anytime. Differences are respected as long as they are written respectfully! :)