Monday, November 14, 2011

Make Your Own Laundry Soap!

 It's sooooo easy and saves you "loads" of money! :)

I'm not sure if I had even heard of making one's own laundry detergent until a couple years ago, or, if I had, I probably thought it was little bit "eccentric" for me. ;)  But then I started finding out that very "normal" people I know were making their own and enjoying much success, both in the cleanliness of their clothes and in saving oodles of money!

Just today I made another batch (with the help of a sweet little neighbor girl with the most beautiful glasses ever!) and realized I've never posted this recipe.  It's way too good to keep--the word must be spread! :)

So, to buy the ingredients will probably cost you $6 or $7, BUT two of the ingredients will last you for many batches of detergent.  And each "batch" of detergent will likely last you several months.  Each time I make a bucket of detergent, it lasts probably a good 7 or 8 months, but I only have 3 people in my family.  You make the detergent in a 5-gallon bucket, but then, in a smaller container, you mix that concentrate with an equal amount of water.  That means for under $5, you have 10 gallons of laundry detergent!  You can save about 95% per year making your own over buying ready-made detergent!

Does it work?  Oh, yes!  It works wonderfully, getting your clothes nice and clean. It smells strong when you make it, and even when you put it in the washer, but your clothes just come out smelling clean!  I've heard you can add essential oils of your choice to have a different fragrance, but have never tried that.

Have I convinced you to try it yet?  Did I mention how easy it is? :) Here's the recipe:

Homemade Laundry Soap

1 Fels Naptha soap bar, grated (Zote works, too)
1 Cup Washing Soda (baking soda is NOT a suitable substitute)
1/2 Cup Borax
 You will also need a 5-gallon bucket with lid.  You can find these at Lowe's.

Grate the soap bar into a small saucepan.  Cover with hot water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continually, until the soap completely dissolves.

Put washing soda and borax in a 5-hallon bucket.  Pour in the hot melted soap mixture.  Stir well, until all the powder is dissolved (I use a sturdy yardstick for stirring).  Fill the bucket to the top with more hot tap water.  Stir, cover securely, and let set overnight.  The next morning, stir the mixture. It's fairly watery, not extremely thick. Mix equal amounts of soap concentrate and water in a smaller detergent dispenser or container.  Shake before using (each use).

Use 1 cup of detergent for a regular-size load.

Make sure you stir what's in the bucket each time you take some out to dilute it in the smaller bottle.

While you're at it, try making your own fabric softener as well! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love knowing what's on your heart and mind! Your thoughts, opinions, questions and ideas are welcome here anytime. Differences are respected as long as they are written respectfully! :)