Thursday, January 12, 2012

Can't Sleep? Try This!

It seems more and more people have trouble sleeping, either once in awhile or on a chronic basis.  I don't know what the reason is (I'm sure there are varying factors), but I know of a great way to help occasional (like me) or chronic insomnia sufferers.

It's a product called Melatonin, and it can be found in the vitamins section in almost any grocery store, drugstore, or discount department stores (Target, Walmart, Meijer, etc.), and under many brand names.  Melatonin is a natural alternative to Tylenol P.M. or products like that, and is non-habit-forming.  It's actually a substance that your body already produces on its own, but many people benefit from taking extra to help them sleep.

Since I'm not a doctor, I would suggest purchasing the pills in the smallest strength per pill to start with, and/or talking to your pharmacist about how to properly use it and possible side effects.  The bottle we have right now is 5 mg time release, but even one of those babies made me feel overly loopy, so I only take half at a time on nights I feel wired or can't turn my brain off. ;)  Based on my experience with this higher dosage, I won't buy it again, but instead go for the lower strength ones.  I can always take more than one of the lower strength pills if one isn't working, but I'd rather start out small.

If you take Melatonin about 20-30 minutes before you want to go to sleep (and relax, of course--don't work out or clean your house after you've taken it!), you will likely begin to feel drowsy, and then sleep is right around the corner.  At least, that's been the experience of myself and many others.

Hope this helps somebody out there get a better night's sleep! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I do like melatonin. I just have to remember not to take it to early or I get sooooooo sleepy before I should be!

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing what's on your heart and mind! Your thoughts, opinions, questions and ideas are welcome here anytime. Differences are respected as long as they are written respectfully! :)