Monday, June 14, 2010

Little Mister's Birthday Letter

My dearest Little Mister,

How can it already be time again to write your birthday letter?  You're going to be eight years old this week!  To me, eight seems so much older than seven.  You're another year closer to independence, and that makes me both proud and sad.  You'll never be a mom, so maybe you'll never understand what I mean by that.  But it's the reason I hold on tight when you sit next to me on the couch or when you need comfort because you've injured yourself or your beloved cousins have gone home.  I know these moments will grow fewer and farther between.  That's a good thing, but it's hard for a mom to let go!



You've grown in every way imaginable this past year, my son.  The struggles continue, but some are lessening their grip on you.  That's because you continue to fight, my little knight in shining amour.  You know the weapons available to you, and you are doing a good job learning to use them. 

Your genuine love for your God is such an inspiring thing to see!  Yes, you have made Him your God, not just Someone you go through the motions for because your parents want you to.  A few weeks ago, when you asked me to find you an online Bible dictionary to help you figure out things you were reading in your Bible, I was more shocked than I let on.  And, though you said you wanted to do that to be like your daddy, I know you wouldn't do something you didn't really want to do (as long as it wasn't a requirement anyway) unless you really wanted to, even to be like Daddy! :)

I love to hear you sing and you've become quite the crooner, Little Man!  You've always enjoyed making up your own sweet (or loud) songs rather than singing along with others, but when I taught you The Star Spangled Banner this past school year, we discovered that you might even enjoy singing with someone else once in awhile! ;)  Anyway, your made-up-as-you-go songs of praise to the Lord will always be my favorite.  They come from your heart and your Father hears them, certainly with great happiness.

You've done well in school, as always.  Those multiplication tables have been a little tricky, but we'll find some fun ways to keep our minds engaged this summer, including getting/keeping those "times tables" in there!  I love to watch your careful attention to symmetry as you build with Legos, K'nex, blocks or anything else.  You come up with the best creations!

Oh, how I love you!  I can never express to you the depth of my love and I fail often at being what a loving person should be.  But I see what you, my dear son, are up against in your own battles, and I'm inspired to fight like you do.

Thanks for all the spiders you've saved me from this past year and for gallantly opening doors for me when you think of it and for making sure I look both ways before I cross a street.  We have had many fun and funny times this past year, and I look forward to years and years of those special times.

Remember King Josiah?  He was just your age now!

"Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty-one years. 2 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and walked in the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left."  2 Chronicles 34:1-2

Now, Little Mister, you're not likely to be a king, outside your imagination, anytime soon.  But your daddy and I pray that you will indeed do what is right in the eyes of the Lord and walk without turning aside to the right or to the left.

Happy Birthday, with much love!
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love knowing what's on your heart and mind! Your thoughts, opinions, questions and ideas are welcome here anytime. Differences are respected as long as they are written respectfully! :)