Thursday, March 1, 2012

Comfort Chicken Soup

I don't intend for this blog to become solely a recipe blog, but I haven't posted in awhile, and about all I've got time for right now is a recipe.  It's one several people have asked me for anyway, so why not? :)

My beautiful friend Suzanne (who lives in the middle of nowhere on a farm in Minnesota, and knows what winter is all about!) sent me this recipe years ago, and on chilly evenings my guys love when I make this simple soup.  I'll give you the recipe in its original form first, then tell you some different things I add to it.

 Comfort Chicken Soup

8 cups water
8 cubes chicken bullion or equivalent amount of chicken soup base (or 8 C already-made broth)
6 1/2 cups wide egg noodles, uncooked
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
8 oz sour cream
Garnish:  fresh or dried parsley to taste

Bring water and bullion (or broth) to a boil in large soup pot over medium-high heat.  Add noodles and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.  Stir in soup and chicken; heat through.  Remove soup pot from heat; add sour cream.  Sprinkle with parsley to taste.  Serves 4 to 6.

A few of my own notes:
  • To avoid curdling of the cream soups and sour cream, I whisk those together in a bowl, and then "temper" them, by adding a spoonful of the boiling noodle water, mixing it in, adding another spoonful of water, and so on.  I just keep adding water until it seems like it's going to be okay to add the mixture to the noodles. :)
  • I stopped trying to measure the noodles.  I usually just dump a bag of them in--probably about 12 oz. :)
  • You can add carrots and/or celery for some extra color and flavor.
  • Hubs likes spicy stuff, and, though I don't make this hot-spicy, I do add herbs and spices, usually a mix like Chef Paul's Poultry Magic or McCormick's Monterey Chicken mix.
  • I don't know if we eat smaller than average servings, but it sure seems like it makes way more than 4-6 servings!  This recipe usually lasts our little family of three for 2 dinners and a lunch! :)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love knowing what's on your heart and mind! Your thoughts, opinions, questions and ideas are welcome here anytime. Differences are respected as long as they are written respectfully! :)